Follow an adventure abroad in Athens, Greece.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 4 Tone Here: Best Tourist Day Ever.


After enjoying a nice and slow morning, Tone and I awoke to the streets of Athens covered in snow.  (I use the term covered very sarcastically for those of you who were actually covered in snow this winter – sorry) 


I decided before Tone arrived that I wanted a tourist day.  I wanted to get tickets to ride the stupid big red buses and I wanted to take tons of pictures obnoxiously and buy tourists goods.  Today was the day.  The sun began to shine and warm the air up and off we went on our tourist adventure.  I wore my new rain jacket in case of rain to creep back over Athens and Tone looked lovely in her new coat from home (jealous).

We were off!  We had to go into Syntagma Square to catch the Hop On Hop Off red obnoxious bus.  We got one and the tickets were about 15 euro for the whole day.  It stopped every 30 minutes at every stop and we could hop on and hop off whenever we wanted (hence the clever title).  We got on our bus and took the ride around once to begin our day.  We decided that our first hop off would be the Acropolis – the weather was behaving and I didn’t want to miss out on that.  The ride around was a lot of fun and gave us a chance to see the city.  I, even being here for months, saw things that I haven’t even seen.


Stop 1 – The Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum



After that we hopped back on and rode around for basically the rest of the day.  Hopping off here and there to get coffee or see something.

We were waiting for sunset to climb Lykavittos and had tons of fun around the city while doing so.  Then it was time – and we set off on our adventure.  It was a treck up but quite beautiful.


We had some photo fun on our way down. 

I also fell – hard – on our way down.  New Toms + marble steps = me on my butt.  So I was a bit reluctant on some of the steps near the end – after basically being carried by Tone the whole way down.


It was too cold to stay on the top of Lykavittos for sunset so as soon as we got back into Pangrati we went to the Centre to catch it from the roof – it was amazing.

After sunset, Tone and I went to this amazing little place for dinner that I had seen exploring one day.  It was off of a side street from the main square near our apartment.  We have an early early early wake up for Santorini tomorrow so a nice dinner and then crashing to sleep seemed like a good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment